- 1kg (2lb 4oz) Scotch Beef shin or stewing steak e.g. feather or blade steak, cut into 5cm (2in) cubes
- 6 rashers lean bacon, cut into strips
- 1 bottle fruity young claret i.e. Beaujolais or Burgundy
- 4 tbsp vegetable oil
- 8 shallots or baby onions
- 300g (10oz) button mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 5 cloves garlic, crushed
- 300ml (1/2 pt) beef stock
- A tied bundle of fresh herbs i.e. parsley, thyme, rosemary
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Heat 2 tbsp oil in a flameproof casserole dish. Gently fry the bacon strips and onions for 4-5 minutes or until lightly coloured. Add the mushrooms and continue cooking for 2-3 minutes just to soften. Remove to one side.
Preheat the oven to 150C/130C Fan/Gas Mark 2.
Heat the remaining oil in the pan and brown the cubes of meat, do this in batches. Return the meat to the pan and sprinkle on the flour and garlic. Cook gently for a further minute.
Blend in the wine, add the herbs and season with salt and pepper. Cover and transfer to the oven to cook for 1 -2 hours. Add back the onion, bacon and mushrooms and cook for a further 30 minutes or until the meat is tender.